Fried Fester | 08.07.08

R.I.P

On my return from a vacation to the United States, I booted up the Neverwinter Nights build machine, a 7 year old box that has done me very well, only to watch it die five minutes later. In the seven years I've had the box, all that's been upgraded is the graphic card so I could play Neverwinter Nights 2. From a GeForce 4200 to a GeForce 7800. The pocket book was very happy.

With the death of the motherboard, an Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 powered by the old AMD Athlon XP CPU, it's as good as spent. No bios, no beeps, just a black screen when the power goes on.

Is there good news to this? I suppose. Now I get to build a new system. A long time has gone by for new nForce boards to be designed and new CPUs. I'll need memory too. Not even the old 450watt power supply is strong enough these days. Sigh ... what happened to that good news vibe I was feeling just moments before?

Is there bad news? Sure is. It's the second week since my return home and I've not been able to tweak the bug reports coming in from the Shadewood beta testers.

There are two "strange" bugs that I know are all variable based, keeping two side quests incomplete, even though they've clearly been completed. Spelling and grammar mistakes are quick to chew threw, so are the general suggestions to the improvement of the adventure but I don't like leaving bugged quests.

Until a new machine is up and running, Shadewood is grounded at Private Beta 4, the last update sent to testers on July 17, 2008.

After four years of building in Neverwinter Nights, I really miss it.

3 comments:

Birger said...

Ah, sorry to hear it man. :( It's never fun when your computer just dies like that. :S

Well, we'll have to look at the bright side. Maybe now, you'll have the motivation to buy a completely new computer? ;)

Anyways, hope things turn out well in the end. And as I understand, you've had copies of Shadewood stored somewhere safe instead of having the whole project fried with the computer. That's always a good thing. :)

Good luck man!

PJH said...

Thanks erik for the words and things did turn around in the end as the new PC is up and running!

Birger said...

Ah - good to hear it. :) I'll go reading your other posts now ... ;)