Clouds | 06.01.09


I see shapes in the clouds. . .

I've ventured to the realm of skyboxes for the first time, custom ones that is. Do players really need to see a sky when the isometric view of a camera offers more visibility around the character? My own personal playing style is not done by dropping the camera behind my character but perhaps it's popular with some.

It's been fun learning a little about a side of the game I've never customized before. In Almraiven, the skybox was always available when outside in the streets. Shadewood offered it in a few choice places outside of the wood and both used Bioware default skybox settings. Even then, the only time I really took notice of it was when it was time to take screen shots, otherwise the camera angle I prefer never showed the sky.

Is it really worth the effort and additional size to a hakpak when it's all said and done or is it just a nice backdrop for those screen shots. In comparison, the earlier shots posted offered no skybox, which created a more darker and sinister view of the Land of the Dead.

Here are some shots with custom skyboxes enabled.











5 comments:

Alex said...

Totally outstanding!!!
I really enjoy your series, though I have just recently complited Almraiven and started Shadewood.

The idea of using skyboxes is very gooo. They are especially nedeed when a mudule with flying is created (for example in dreamcatcher, when flying on a dragon)
The option with flying is very rare and fun, but it has never been done on 5 only on 4

Looking forward for new posts =)

Anonymous said...

$0.02 could have the best of both worlds no? I mean, building with a skybox containing hak, and then offering a stripped down hak for anyone who didn't want to download something of that size.

Worked out pretty well for Community Skybox Pack.

Michael A. Sinclair said...

Wow, I love the effect it gives, especially in the last two shots.

SM

BH said...

I love skyboxes, despite my preferred camera setup being top down. For mods that feature any travelling (not to mention roleplay involving a lot of typing), it's nice to be able to drop the camera lower and see... well, a sky.

In any case, beautiful screenshots, FP! (And that goes for your previous posts as well.)

PJH said...

Thanks all for the comments. I've decided to go with a few for specific areas that are wilderness based and will keep them in the hak.